Zanskar Ultimate Off-Roading Trip
10 Nights - 11 Days
Zanskar Valley, tucked in a corner of Ladakh is known for its breathtaking landscape and immersive Buddhist culture. Isolated from the rest of the world during most of the year, Zanskar is one of the places where ways of ancient Tibetan Buddhism is still practiced.
Zanskar valley is an ultimate place for both adventure lovers and culture enthusiasts as the place have the best of both. In this trip, you will experience an ultimate off-roading thrill, visit some ancient monasteries of the region and delve into the rich Zanskari culture. Not only, will you explore the rugged terrains of Zanskar Valley, but also the lush green beauty of the Suru Valley. So prepare for the experience that will be unsurpassed by any other.
- Have the ultimate off-roading experience as you travel through the Shinku La Pass.
- Visit the ancient honey-comb monastery (Phugtal Moanstary). This monastery is said to be almost 2500 years old.
- Explore Zanskar valley, the land of white Copper.
- Visit the oldest monastery in Zanskar.
- Photograph yourself in front of the second largest glacier in india.
- Admire the lush greenery of Suru Valley.
Day 1: Arrive at Manali
Arrive at Manali and enjoy the local vibes of Manali. The next couple of days will be quite an adventure on road.
Day 2: Manali – Jispa/ Darcha
Start from Manali after a hearty breakfast and drive towards Darcha via Atal Tunnel, which is the longest highway tunnel in the world. You will drive through the Pir Panjal area and also cross Sissu, Tandi and Keylong. Overnight stay at either Jispa or Darcha
Day 3: Jispa/ Darcha – Purne
This is the day for ultimate off-roading. You will be driving on almost virgin roads with very few people to see around. Driving through the deep Lahaul Valley, you will cross the Shinku-La Pass at 16580 feet. Brace yourself for an adventurous off-loading trail and a few river crossings.
The road is bumpy, but the view is breathtaking. You will soon cross the Shinku La Pass. After crossing the pass, you will come across Gonpo Ranjon, a beautiful mountain. This mountain is believed to the home of many Buddhist deities and is considered to be sacred among the Buddhist community.
You will further drive towards Kargiak, a quaint Zanskari village and finally reach Purne. Purne is a small village having a few basic homestays. You will be staying in one of the homestays. Check in to your stay and spend a relaxing night.
Day 4: Purne – Phugtal Monastery – Cha – Padum
Start early in the morning and trek towards the Phugtal Monastery or the cave monastery. The surreal monastery is only about 8 km from Purne village and can be reached by a moderate trek. This monastery is located inside a cave is also one of the remotest monasteries in the country. Explore the monastery taking your time, interact with the monks and then return back to Cha village. After that, drive towards Padum. On the way back, you can also visit Bardan Monastery if time permits. Overnight stay at Padum.
Day 5: Rest Day
Day 6: Padum Sightseeing
Start your day after a lazy breakfast. This day, you will explore the monasteries around Padum. Visit the Zangla Palace and Nunnery and Stongdey Monastery while enjoying the landscape of Zanskar Valley. You can also visit a local Zanskari village to get a glimpse of life at Zanskar. Return back to Padum and explore the market area. Overnight, stay at Padum.
Day 7: Padum Sightseeing
Drive to Karsha Monastery, the largest monastery of Zanskar region, along with Sani Monastery, the oldest one in the region and the Dzongkhul Monastery. Not only will you see the amazing monasteries, you will also get an insight about the culture of the place. Overnight, stay at Padum.
Day 8: Padum – Rangdum
Start early from Padum and drive towards Rangdum. The road is good in certain portions and the views are spectacular on the road. Suru River keeps you company for most of the time. You will cross the DrangDrung Glacier, the second largest glacier in India. You will also cross the Penzila Pass that connects Zanskar Valley and Suru Valley. Finally, visit the beautiful Rangdum Monastery and stay for the night at Rangdum.
Day 9: Rangdum – Kargil
Post breakfast, start from Rangdum and drive towards Kargiul. On the way, you will see the Nun-Kun peaks and will cross Parkachik village. Enjoy the landscape of Suru valley as you drive towards Kargil. And don’t forget to stop at places to click some awesome pictures. Finally reach Kargil for overnight stay.
Day 10: Kargil – Leh
Start from Kargil in the morning and drive towards Leh. Tour ends here. You will cross two beautiful passes – the Fotu La and Namik La. If time permits, you can stop at the Lamayuru Monastery. Reach Leh by evening and overnight, stay at Leh.
Day 11: Depart from Leh
It is the day to bid goodbye to Ladakh. Leave the place with wonderful memories and beautiful photographs.
10 Nights – 11 Days
+ 5% GST
- Accommodation on Double/ Triple sharing basis on Standard Category Neat & Clean Hotels & Homestays.
- Meals on MAP (Breakfast and Dinner daily) basis,
- All local transport and sightseeing as per itinerary on Sedan/ SUV/ Tempo Traveler as per group size.
- All road tax, toll and parking, driver charges,
- All necessary permits,
- First Aid Kit Box in vehicle.
- Well experienced and enthusiastic Trip Leader.
- Monument & Others Entrance fees & local guide charges are excluded if required.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone calls, tips & gratuity, mineral water, soft drinks & porterage,
- Wi-Fi, Room Heater, etc. charges as may be applicable.
- Additional sightseeing or extra usage of vehicle, other than mentioned in the itinerary.
- Anything which is not included & mentioned in the ‘Inclusions’ shall be considered as Exclusions.
Know Before You Go
- Airfare to the starting point of your trip and back is not included in the cost.
- Zanskar is quite remote and relatively new to tourism. The stay facilities will be basic, mostly in homestays. Food options will mostly be local, though both vegetarian and non-vegetarian items are available.
- Liability for change in itinerary due to reasons beyond our control like change in flight and train schedule; cancellation of flights/trains, political disturbances, natural phenomenon, etc. will not be accommodated in the cost.
- The vehicle for sightseeing is available on an itinerary basis only, and will not be on disposal.
- explorEarth reserves the right to rearrange or change the itinerary for any reasons that are beyond control like Natural calamity, weather conditions, road block, vvip interference, political manifestation etc.
- The tour takes place through an Eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites.